Monday 15 September 2014

Feathered friend

This week Jo from Imagine if . . wanted us to create  masterpieces on her oversized chipboard tags.  I just LOVE the fancy top she has on these, really elegant.  After much deliberating I came up with this, not too far off my original idea of going steampunk, but hey what the heck, when an idea comes its always easier to go with it rather than try and stick  to the plan.

 
I started with these yummy coloured paints and 'splotched' layers of the first 4 colours onto the tag. 
 
 

 
 
Next I used the bubble stencil with the grape paint (yes very bold I know).  When the grape was dry I 'bumped' the stencil and applied the sage over top.  Then when that layer was dry the whole tag got a really good sanding to show off the underneath layers and to soften and blend everything.  I LOVE this effect.  I learnt this technique from a video I watched on  Art of Craft.  I then inked the edges & drew on some faux stitching.
 
 
 I really didn't want to cover my painted finish, but that wasn't enough. Before applying anything I randomly stamped with a small script stamp.  Next I painted this birdcage/dress form, then inked & stamped and finished it with crackle paint.  'FLY' was created using TH alpha tiles, then I added a quote from the 'Wings and Things' quote sheet, which was distressed and inked.  These mini roses & leaves are also available from Imagine if . .  
 
I'm very pleased with how this has turned out, and LOVE this technique.  I'm sure I'll be using it again.
 
Have you visited my fellow designers yet, as usual we have all created something totally different to each other, I'm really loving being part of such a talented, versatile group.  Please leave a comment, I love to hear your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment